Hidden in the northern side of the Osa Peninsula, lays a practically undisturbed paradise, perfect for those who want to get away and have a relaxing, yet exciting vacation. With tides perfect for sport fishing and the Corcovado National Park as it's main attractions, Drake Bay is the ideal destination for your family vacation getaway.
Here are some essential things you should keep in mind.
● Waterproof camera: Snorkeling is one of Drake Bay’s finest activities; make sure to record all the exotic sea life with a traveling waterproof camera!
● Waterproof phone case: If you want to keep things simple, just invest in a waterproof phone case. This way you will protect your smartphone while you go swimming and snorkeling in Drake Bay. There’s nothing worse than being left phoneless while on vacation.
● UV protection sunglasses: Whether you plan on spending your day at the beach, hiking, or fishing, UV protection sunglasses are never a bad thing to have. You can even ask your local optical store if they can sell you a pair of prescription sunglasses.
● Binoculars: Whale and bird watching are things that most people enjoy during their respective seasons in Drake Bay. Make sure you don’t miss of these natural wonders by carrying your favorite set of binoculars! We highly recommend a travel size pair, since they are easy to carry and won’t take too much space in your suitcase.
● Fishing books: If this is your first time sport fishing, we recommend Offshore Pursuit: A Complete Guide to Blue-Water Sport Fishing to get you started with the basics beforehand!
● Collapsible Trekking Poles: For both experienced and first-timer hikers, we suggest you invest in collapsible trekking poles (the usually come in a 13 ½ inches size), to carry with you while exploring Drake Bay.
● Kid Travel Journal: Purchase a kid travel journal so your kids are as active as possible during your vacation time! Not only is it a fun way to record your journey, they will also be more present during the trip, and will have fond memories of their tropic vacation.
And if you want to have a more pleasant journey, here are some apps we think are useful when visiting Costa Rica:
● XE Currency converter: This app is perfect to keep track of the local monetary exchange values. This app has world-wide currency options! No matter what your local currency is, make sure you know how much you are actually spending.
● AccuWeather: Part of visiting the tropics is experiencing first-hand how diverse the climate is. With AccuWeather, you will be able to see if the weather conditions are appropriate for your planned activities. And if not, this way you can make an alternative plan so the fun never ends!
Drake Bay offers a vast variety of options for everyone. There is no way you and your family won’t be able to enjoy yourselves.
If you are looking for family friendly activities, we suggest you go on a hike together in Corcovado National Park. Experience firsthand the amazing Costa Rica wildlife by exploring their many hiking trails. Both endangered and exotic species wander throughout the park, so keep your eyes wide and you might see an animal you have never seen before.
You can also take your family to a whale and dolphin watching tour. A lot of tours around Drake Bay offer this fascinating sea experience. Though this only happens during certain seasons, make sure to schedule a whale watching tour if available.
Drake Bay is a hidden paradise, which means it is not necessarily an easily accessible one. Most of the roads are hard on many vehicles and it could take up to seven hours to get there. Those are precious hours you are spending on the road.
By flying, those 7 long frustrated hours get cut out completely. Imagine flying to Drake Bay in just 35 minutes! Skyway offers two flights everyday, and departs from the Juan Santamaria Airport, so you don’t even need to leave the airport area.
What are you waiting for? Join the Skyway and enjoy your vacations like you never have before.
We’re a fresh Costa Rican airline that leverages years of experience flying with the safest in modern dual-turbine aircrafts to provide you with a fun, stylish, and safe flight experience around Costa Rica and to Bocas del Toro. Choose the stress-free route and fly the #Skyway.